15 January 2006

Truckers

Just finished a Terry Pratchett book NOT set in the Discworld. Good Omens is the only other Pratchett book I've read that isn't Discworld, and he coauthored it with Neil Gaiman. This "new" book is called Truckers. It's not really new, as it was released in 1989, but it's new to me and I think this is the first time the whole Bromeliad trilogy has been released in a single volume.

Anyway, it's about gnomes trying to cope in the human world. Much of the plot could be summed up as: "Imagine Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but Ford and Arthur decide to rescue all the humans on earth before the earth blows up; to make things more complicated, most of the people of earth don't believe anything exists Outside of earth and (of course) don't see why they should leave anyway." No, the earth doesn't get blown up. But try telling that to gnomes who've lived in the Store for several generations! :-)

As most Pratchett books are, Truckers is a lot of fun even while it explores more serious themes. My only complaint is more of a wistful thought: This would make a wonderful graphic novel if you found the right artist!

2 comments:

Becky said...

I think Fibonacci had mentioned his name before, but I'm not sure. His work does sound fun...

I know you have read some of Lawhead's works, I just reread Patrick. It was just as good this time. If you haven't read Byzantium and the Celtic Crusades Trilogy, I recommend them. His writing style is more mature starting with Byzantium. Patrick is the most recent book he has written alone. He also did some with his son, but they are a total different genre, and I didn't like them much. Actually the additional books, after the original trilogy of the Pendragon Cycle steadily improved. He is just getting better and better : ) I am impatiently waiting for a new one, it has been awhile.

Qalmlea said...

Nice. I'll keep an eye out for them!

Terry Pratchett's writing has also steadily improved, though he has lately taken a somewhat darker turn. The humor is still there (he's primarily a satirist), but his newer books tend to be lot edgier than his older ones.