25 May 2006

Wildlife

I came back with a whole bunch of pictures that I really liked, so I'm going to break them up a bit. First off, the wildlife pix.


This one is actually from my ill-fated Wapi expedition. There was a chick poking its head in and out of the nest, and I'm betting that the hawk I saw take off from the adjacent field was probably its mother. Unfortunately, I don't have a high enough zoom for the chick to be at all visible. That little white fluff might be the top of its head. Might.



This is a mourning dove that I saw by the American Falls dam. It let me get awfully close to it. I mean, I was using the taiji walk, but I was rather surprised. After snapping this picture (I have others from further away), I started wondering if the bird was caught in the fence and approached less cautiously, wondering if it needed help. Nope. It flew away at that point. I'm just as glad it wasn't caught. Getting it loose wouldn't have been much fun for me OR the bird.




These rabbits were in grassy areas in Hell's Half-Acre (that's the name of the place where I walked around). I saw a bunch more in other grassy areas. Rather cute, but shy, though the one on the right didn't run too far. Just far enough that he thought I couldn't see him any more. :^D

















Here's a magpie who wouldn't let me get close enough to get a better picture. *sighs* Every time I tried, he'd fly to a different tree. Telling him that I wasn't planning to eat him had no effect, strangely enough. ;^)








Here's a spiderweb that was situated right near a small cave. There were actually a lot of webs there. This was the one that showed up best in the picture, though.








Last but not least, the rockchuck. He wasn't too wary of me, but I think if I'd stepped off the path, he'd've gone running.

No comments: