09 May 2006

Counting

I did find the event I needed. It seems so obvious in retropsect. It's a scene that was originally part of Erika's entry into Devil Falls, but got discarded because it made no sense there. Here, it makes sense and will even tie off a minor loose end.

I also got the Math123 final written. I always like to put a weird extra credit on the final. In Stats it's usually "How many statisticians does it take to change a light bulb?" This time, since we'd been discussing the normal distribution, I gave them one that asks about the middle 68% of a distribution (within one standard deviation of the mean). However, I told them that the mean was blue and the standard deviation was yellow. :^D I expect "green" will figure in many answers. We shall see.

One question on there turned out to be more difficult than I'd intended. We'd discussed choosing things with and without order mattering. I put a Yahtzee question on, about how many combinations there were if order did not matter. It's not that hard to figure out if you take some time, but it didn't test the concept I'd intended to test and it's too hard for a Math123 final. So that one will be an optional extra credit. There are a few people in there who might be able to get it. Most of them I wouldn't expect to, though. I figured out the answer last night, then decided to play around on Excel and find a way to list them all without typing them all. "Concatenate" is quite a useful function for that. I don't quite have them all yet, but I've got most of them. Then I'll try sticking them all in one column and put them all in order. Why? I don't know. I just do these things sometimes.

But I've got all homework, etc, graded in every class now (many of them simply 20/20 for turning it in), so I just need to get it recorded, get finals graded, and I'll be done.

No comments: