24 May 2006

Lava and the Sword

My "hike" wasn't too exciting today, though it was quite interesting. There are rest stops between Pocatello and IF on either side of the interstate, and some paths through the lava beds there. It's not really a "hike" though, as it is an entirely paved path. *sighs* Still, before this spring I'd never walked through either of them. I made it to the one on the west side once on the way back from IF. Today I tried the one on the east side. I'll post pictures later, but it was very enjoyable. Full of cottontail rabbits, oddly enough, in the grassy impressions in many places. I also saw two rockchucks (known to the less ejikated as "yellow-bellied marmots" ;^), one standing at sentry in between the two interstates as I left. There were lots and lots of birds as well. Magpies and starlings I recognized, but there were a bunch of songbirds. There was one that I THINK was a female goldfinch (males are brighter and harder to mistake). And one bird (possibly the probable goldfinch) was chirping a donkey-bray. That was a bit odd.

I wandered to several craft stores after my pseudohike, mainly looking for white things I could make BRIGHT by tie-dying. FYI, Wal-Mart so far has proved the best source for such things. Note that in general I despise Wal-Mart, but it's occasionally useful. I did find some "flour-sack towels" at Shopko that I plan to tie-dye and use as decorative items. They are larger than the bandannas that I found at the craft stores, and cheaper as well. I also went to Barnes and Noble, specifically looking for guides to hiking trails in this part of Idaho. I found one that has several that I've already done in it, and has good directions and maps. I also got a bird book specific to Idaho actually to the Rocky Mountains. I already had ONE specific to Idaho, but it's got so little in it that it's not much use. This one has a decent variety of species in it [and I'm often in the Rockies in other states, as well].

Then I picnicked behind Target, because it was nearby and there was a sort of park there (actually a grassy area around a very short bike path). Lots of birds there, too. Red-winged blackbirds. Starlings. Possibly a pine siskin. Ducks. There's a canal there, so lots of birds that like the water congregate there. I found a nice shady spot where I could sit and eat and watch them.

The sword lessons are getting both easier and harder. Easier in that I now have the basics down on most moves. Harder because the things that need correcting are more subtle, and it sometimes takes me several weeks just to figure out what Don is even getting at.

Alas, I must go. Flower-planting in Grandma's honor. I picked out a bright yellow daisylike flower and some deep, deep purple petunias.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flowers are now planted. From the looks of things, people brought more flowers than the place actually has room for. Which isn't necessarily bad. :^D There was a harpist there playing nice, nostalgic songs. There was also a barbecue. I ignored it, as most barbecue sauces have some form of gluten in them. Mom ignored it, likely because she doesn't like barbecue. We ate at Chang's instead. Oddly we were both tired of chicken and opted for a pork dish.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Kate is jealous about the sword lessons. She says, "Lucky!"

Nice nature walks. I like your pictures.

Qalmlea said...

:^D Thanks. I've got some more that I may get posted today. For a desert walk yesterday, I saw a surprising number of flowers.

As far as the sword lessons go, in this case you really need to learn the barehand taiji form first. There are some standalone sword forms in other martial arts, though. There's also European fencing.

kate said...

I'd really like to learn to joust. (Granted, that would take a lot of muscle, a lot of stength, a lot of training, a lot of equestrian-ship, a lot of money, and a lot of time.)

I'm not too quick and/or coordinated. The sword arts would probably take me forever and a day--and maybe five minutes more--to learn to an efficient degree.

Still, maybe someday...

Qalmlea said...

To improve coordination, it would be hard to find something better than taiji. Granted, it takes a lot of time and effort, but it's well worth it. (Really, any martial art will help, but in taiji we especially practice being able to move slowly and smoothly)