11 May 2006

Dreams of Flight and Robots

I had an odd series of dreams. I'll try to write down what I remember...

My parents and I were getting ready to fly somewhere. Mom had either bought or was looking at some new luggage. I started playing with a small rolling suitcase, and was quite pleased with the number and diversity of pockets (a crucial factor in my luggage preferences). One narrow, long pocket ran clear along the outside. First when I opened it, I was wondering whether I could fit a paperback book or two in it. Maybe at the bottom, where it was wider, but it was too narrow at the top. Then it occurred to me that it might be perfect for my taiji practice sword. But the sword was a bit too long, and my dad started yelling at me about trying to bring that on a plane anyyway (which shouldn't have been an issue, since the suitcase was too big to be a carry on).

Then I sort of "wake up" at a hotel, and decided I want to write the former dream down. For some reason, I don't have my laptop with me, so I wander down to the lobby. There's a strange computer terminal there. It was made like a motorcycle side car, with the monitor built in across from the seat. I climbed in and tried to figure out how to get the thing working. I tried to close out a program that looked like it was eating up all the memory, and the whole thing shut down. So I started it back up and let the program run (I think it was a computer television feed), and started typing something (no memory of what I typed).

Then I climbed out of the computer booth and went over to what seemed to be the gift store. Here it gets weird. The store looked like a cross between a Borg-cube, the set of the Matrix, and the Jawa transport vessel full of robots in Star Wars. Only it wasn't a store any more. I'm not sure what it was, but there was no way out of the techno-melange. There was something about looking for "the One" ala the Matrix, but if there was any detail, I've forgotten it. I remember going into a bathroom and being surprised at the "new" cabinet inside. It had double doors that folded in the middle, and seemed to be used for storing toilet paper (not deep enough to hold much else). It was perhaps six feet long and three feet high, and mounted on the wall across from the toilet. It had been covered in ceramic tile in varying shades of green. Dark green at the bottom, and fading to almost white at the top (Now I recognize it as the same color scheme as a basket that I have in my upstairs bathroom). There's some fuzziness here, but my next clear memory is of walking down a rather crowded hallway, and noticing that the little robots who lived in the walls had constructed another cabinet further down the hall. I opened it, and found a refrigerator case for storing medicines. It was full of round vials, like ones that could be connected directly to a syringe. I was pleased that the little robots had cared enough to make it.

After I woke up (for real this time), I decided that the little robots were probably inspired by Stargate replicators. These are NOT friendly. The ones in my dream were mostly helpful, though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear more about your taiji sword training :)