26 May 2006

New Puppy

My dad's birthday is tomorrow. My mom and I wandered over to McKee's earlier this week, and they actually had some non-purebred puppies. It's become increasingly difficult to find such puppies (which tend to be healthier than purebreds, as well as cheaper). These said they were terrier-crosses. Which probably means they had a female terrier who was not intentionally bred. It's a cute little thing, currently nameless, and too restless/insecure to sit still for a picture. However, this picture looks a lot like him. He's just black instead of brown, but the shape of the head and ears are right.

I'm hoping that the puppy (not yet named) will help Dad get some of his equilibrium back. He was actually smiling this afternoon. He hasn't smiled much in recent memory. I brought over some dog toys that I found cheap (a buck a piece), and Dad was quite relieved to see that one of them was a chew toy. The puppy seems to have a tendency to chew on things, probably on account of teeth coming in.

While I like the puppy, he reminds me of why I prefer cats to dogs. He's extremely insecure when left alone (dogs are pack animals, after all). A cat or kitten, on the other hand, will amuse itself and be glad to have some time apart.

Speaking of which, Ji'e'toh is less than thrilled about her new baby brother. She has been avoiding the kitchen (where the puppy is confined until he's housetrained). I brought her over to the gate to make friends. The puppy was very excited and interested. Ji'e'toh tensed and hissed. Then she went and hid in the organ room (where her food dish is). She didn't want to come out, either. *shrugs* I think the puppy will be good for her, too, though. With me and Mom no longer living there, she's been alone a bit TOO much. We shall see.

No comments: