25 May 2006

Scenery (last picture post from Hell's Half Acre)

Right. One more set of pictures. This is just a selection of pretty or interesting scenery. A few of them almost made it into textures instead.


One of many huge cracks in the lava bed. At the bottom of these cracks, there is usually a lot more plant life, as that's where the water tends to wind up in this high desert.












This one's just an interesting rock formation, and definitely would have fit with the texture shots.












One of the things I love about this area is the way that, in some places, the lava looks like nothing more than the remnants of an old asphalt road. So I like to pretend that this was once a nasty mall parking lot, and that the forest came and took it over! Mua-ha-ha-ha-hahhhhh! ;^D












A nice indentation just below the walking path.











Different area. This is a sand dune I found in a cow pasture not too far from American Falls. I hadn't realized there were actual dunes that close to Pocatello. I would have explored, but a plethora of signs indicated that it was private property (probably to keep out dirt-bikers and ATV more than pedestrians, but still...)








Look! The remnants of Greyskull! Oh, wait. Wrong world (You may have to load the full size image to see what I'm talking about). You can also see some of the pahoehoe [pa-hoy-hoy] in this shot (where the lava sort of crinkled into ropy patterns as it cooled).









This last one is probably my favorite (warning: I didn't shrink this one down from its full size, so it may take a while to load). This one I think I'll print out and frame at some point.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your pictures of the Lava flows.

Ray

Qalmlea said...

:^D Thanks. It's a fun place to wander.