16 October 2005

Yoda I am

Another quiz... And this time I'm Yoda:

Which Fantasy/SciFi Character Are You?



Also, today I finished "A Horse and His Boy." It was enjoyable. Unlikely in spots, as only a kid's story can get away with, but pretty good. One thing that bugged me was that all the Southern Folk except for our two heroes were portrayed as evil, mean, and deceitful (wait: there was also a complete bubblehead). Cultural differences are one thing, but even in a depraved society, there will be good people. Perhaps Lewis just wanted to emphasize the nastier parts of the culture, but it bugged me (David Eddings did something similar, though not quite as heavy-handed, in the only trilogy of his that I read; that's a big part of why I didn't read further).

So that leaves four more books, but at least I've made it through LWW before the movie gets here. This is a case where I can easily see the movie being better than the book. The book is interesting, but so thin in some places. I hope those places get filled in a bit. At least HAHB didn't have noticeable thin spots like that.

I probably will take a break before continuing with the Chronicles of Narnia. Robert Jordan's newest book is out. I'll either read it next or possibly try to work my way through the first ten books of the series again and then read it. I haven't decided. It may wind up being a compromise.

6 comments:

John said...

Yeah, Calormen is the land of villainy for pretty much the rest of the series.

As for Eddings, in all of his books that I have read (several) only the major characters have any depth. Everyone else fits neatly into a mold. (ie: from "The Belgariad," all Mimbrates are knights, all Arends are yeomen, all Drasnians are spies, all Murgos are evil, etc.) It's sad, because his main characters are pretty well developed (except in his most recent series, "The Dreamers." There even the major characters seem interchangeable).

I'm looking forward to "Knife of Dreams" too. I can't afford to buy a lot of books, but the library here is pretty good. Hopefully they will get it soon.

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
John said...

It turns out that the library just got "Knife of Dreams" in today. It isn't entered into their system yet, but I have a hold on it now, and should be able to check it out by Friday. How cool is that?

John said...

I am Vizzini. Inconceivable! (Actually that's probably about right)

Qalmlea said...

Interesting a assorment of characters on that quiz...

I found Knife of Dreams for 40% off, which made it not much more expensive than a trade paperback. Less than some. But I've got the rest in hardback, so I might as well keep up the tradition.

Unknown said...

Cool blog keep it up!