08 October 2005

Of Pipelines and Frowns

Gas is cheaper in Idaho Falls at the moment ($2.77 vs. $2.81 at Maverick), which means something fishy is going on. Gas is trucked into both Pocatello and Idaho Falls from Salt Lake. Idaho Falls is about 50 miles further, so gas should not be cheaper there, especially not two weeks in a row. As a sidenote, the Maverick in IF must have been having a lot of drive-offs. They now require people to pay at the pump or else go inside and prepay. In most cases that wouldn't bother me, but I wanted to buy a snack for the ride home while I was there, and it would have been easier to pay for it all at once.

The only other news for today is that I do not have to turn pages for my mom tomorrow. A brief explanation: my mom is the organist for the Methodist Church, and the choir's anthem has to be played on the organ this week. My mom insists that she can't do her usual trick of making copies and spreading them out because then she will be unable to see Robin (choir director). Normally I don't mind turning pages all that much. It's not my favorite activity, but it doesn't bother me. Except this piece was complete and utter dreck. The best it ever got was schmaltzy. Most of it was worse, in rather putrid shades of brown (it tried for majestic golds and oranges...but the brown stuck to them. Ick.). Anyway, my mom saw the look on my face after she'd played through it once, and immediately offered to find someone else. I guess she didn't want me making faces through the choir's anthem.

My mom claims the song is "kinda nice" when the choir sings along with it, but after skimming through the words I find that doubtful. Any song that proudly proclaims how humble the singers are just needs to be tossed out.

UPDATE:
The issue turned out to be irrelevant, as the soloist for the ugly song was sick. They did Gift of Love instead, which has both pretty melody AND words, and doesn't require anyone to turn pages for my mom. (I wasn't there; my mom filled me in later)

No comments: