09 October 2005

Back to Cooking

I did not quite live up to my intentions of making stew every weekend. After the fish stew, I stopped for about a month. It is not that the fish stew didn't taste good (it was pretty good); it's that I got a bad cold that hit right after I made it. Likely, it had no connection to the stew, but I just didn't want any more of it. And the next weekend, I still wasn't feeling well; not sure about the weekend after that, but somewhere in there I was gone for the weekend, going to Ben Lo's taiji workshop. But I'm back at it this week. Nothing fancy. Just chicken, three bell peppers, a sweet onion, three very large cloves of garlic, some carrots, a jicama, and a lot of rice. And my usual random assortment of spices. It smells good, and should be done in another half-hour or so.

On the subject of cooking, I discovered a primo tea for warding off colds (and flu, according to the source). Take one tablespoon of lemon juice, one tablespoon of honey, and a clove or two of garlic. The source said to slice the garlic, but I just use a garlic press (she thought that would make the garlic flavor too strong; she's obvioiusly never eaten raw garlic). Put all that into a mug and pour boiling water over it. Let sit until it reaches a drinkable temperature. Anyway, it's quite a pick-me-up, and it actually tastes pretty good.

No comments: