20 October 2005

Homecoming

My grandma finally got to come home today. They gave her an armload of prescriptions (I counted at least 9 bottles, and there may have been 11), a walker, and some instructions. She was glad to be home, but too exhausted to enjoy it much, I think. She gave me back my toy octopus. I brought it over to keep her company, and I think it did cheer her up. It's eyewrenchingly bright yellow with bright blue rings. It's got 8 tentacles, two of them extra long and with velcro so that it can "hug" you. I found it at a dollar store and loved it. Its usual home is in my office, so I'll have to remember to bring it back there tomorrow.

A note: this past week and half would have been easier on me if it had stayed consistent. First they told us Grandma could go home Wednesday or Thursday last week. Then her lungs filled up with fluid again. Then they told us she might be going home some other day (they're all running together now; I could check my previous blog posts if I really wanted to), and she went into atrial fibrillation. None of us are really sure why she didn't get to go home yesterday, but at least she's home now. If it had stayed at one level or the other (stuck in the hospital; ready to go home), it wouldn't have been so bad. But the constant fluctuation was...very annoying.

No comments: