04 October 2005

Going Postal

Going Postal is the most recent Discworld novel to come out in paperback (there's a new one in hardback that I likely will not get to read for a year, until it comes out in paperback). GP is nicely done, but I have a few complaints.

  • Pratchett has done variations on this basic story several times before: A reluctant newcomer is the only hope against something big and corrupt. Each time the story is well done, and often better done than the version that preceded it, but it's still the same story.
  • The lead character resembles the lead character in Moving Pictures in many respects. Different names and backgrounds, but similar modes of behavior. (I think similar characters have shown up in other books, as well)
In spite of all that, I quite enjoyed the book. Entertaining, as always, though Pratchett seems to have taken a darker turn in his more recent books (starting with Night Watch). Yet at the same time, the quality of the writing has jumped up a notch or two (and I thought it was good to begin with). I miss the more light-hearted style, though. The trademark Pratchett sense of humor is still there, but it's muted. It makes me wonder what has happened in his life recently.

3 comments:

John said...

"Going Postal" was pretty good. I just finished "Thud," a Commander Vimes murder mystery. I have noticed that a lot of the recent Discworld books semm to be getting darker, too. Oh, how I miss Rincewind! If you haven't done so already, check out "The Wee Free Men," and its sequel "Hat Full of Sky." They are discworld books written for younger readers, and aren't so dark. Strangely enough, they are not as silly as the other Discworld books. They're still really funny, just not as silly. My new favorite word is "Crivens!"

Qalmlea said...

:-)
I've read "Wee Free Men," but I haven't gotten to "Hat Full of Sky" yet (mainly because I haven't found it in a bookstore yet). There's also "Maurice and His Amazing Rodents" that's aimed more at children, and it's nicely done as well. Mildly creepy in a few places, too.

John said...

Yeah, "mildly creepy" is pretty common in kids stories. It gives a little thrill, which is fine. As long as it isn't taken too far. I went through a horror movie phase in my teens, and saw as many as I could. However, none of them creeped me out more than "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory." Strange, because I really like a lot of Gene Wlilder's early stuff.