27 October 2005

Whimsy

I ran across some new toys over at Orac Knows. And they are cute! Disturbing, but cute: Giant Microbes!. Everything from flu to ebola to the clap. So, teach your kids they have nothing to fear from these big fluffy germs! Stock up today!

Now, I'm trying to find a way to tie this into Miers' withdrawal... Maybe all the giant microbes in Washington DC scared her off. Until I read her letter of withdrawal, my estimation of her intelligence went up. After reading it... Well, read it for yourself. She claims she's withdrawing because the confirmation hearings would force her to expose confidential dealings with the president, and that this violates separation of exectutive and legislative branches. Thoughts: (1) There is something to hide in those private conversations; (2) This was the best excuse she could come up with; (3) She really doesn't get why people objected to her nomination.

I don't think Bush asked her to withdraw. I don't think he's capable of admitting a mistake and acting on it. I'm guessing that a lot of the behind-the-scenes advisors (many of whom may be indicted soon) had a few private words with her. I think a better "excuse" for withdrawing would have been "to end the backbiting within the Republican party," but that would have put the blame solely on the Republican party, and we can't have that, now can we?

No comments: