13 April 2008

West Mink Creek

YAY! Hiking! Warm! Snow! As in, it's now warm, but Mink Creek hadn't melted off. yet. More than half the trail was still covered in snow. Squishy snow, so it wasn't very slick, but there was the potential to sink down in it. Several times I sank down to my ankle. Once I sank clear to my knee. In most places, there were dry patches you could walk on to avoid sinking in the snow, but not in all of them. As I got there at 17:00, I didn't make it very far. I got to the bridge over the water and turned around. I think that might be a half-mile up the trail. Possibly three-quarters of a mile. Anyway, there are a few pictures below the fold.


Here's a nice view of the creek itself. Don't be fooled by the snow. It was quite warm up there except in one shadowed spot. I was wearing a very light jacket at first and quickly removed it.


This is the view back down the trail from where I turned around. It kinda looks like someone ought to do some work on the bridge this summer. Certainly by next summer it'll need it.


And this, this, is me! Or my shadow, at least. `/^

No comments: