06 July 2006

Your Lupines, Please!

Tuesday, I found myself paying closer attention to lupines than usual (likely because I hadn't bothered to try and identify the one I posted), and there are some noticeable differences. Fuzzy leaves. Smooth rounded leaves. Spiky leaves. So, here are several lupines seen at Gibson Jack.

I took this one because you can see the seed pods forming, as well as the pattern of the leaves. Most lupines have rather pointy leaves, but all have that sort of star-shape pattern.




I guess I'd never paid attention, because until Tuesday I hadn't realized how many lupines have fuzzy leaves!



Here's one with more rounded leaves that aren't as fuzzy.



Spiky leaves.


Somewhat fuzzy, slightly spiky leaves.


Spiky, non-fuzzy leaves.

Anyway, I'm still not sure which lupines these are. The common ones, that are in every book, are silvery and silky lupines. Silvery have greyer leaves. *shrugs* So maybe the first one and the next-to-last one are silvery, assuming these aren't any of the less common varieties.

No comments: