28 July 2006

Back in Fort Collins

The drive yesterday was fairly uneventful. We did see quite a few antelope, and some elk, along the highway(s). Also some Texans trying to get themselves killed by going 90 on a two-lane highway and trying to pass when there just wasn't room. We got into Fort Collins around 17:45. Naturally, we ate at Sri Thai. I had the Pad prig king pow (something like that), which is basically meat, carrots, onions, bell peppers all in a roasted chili sauce. I asked for it Thai hot. The Thai tea float was quite invigorating after the long drive.

Then we went to Barnes and Noble. I got a Tibetan chant CD and a Kitaro 2-CD set. I've gotten interested in Tibetan chant lately, and Don gave me a copy of one of his Kitaro CD's (so I must, of course, provide him with a copy of these). I also found a potentially useful book, Weeds of the West. However, when I looked at the price, I decided it might be cheaper on Amazon. It was. So that's a likely-to-order item. If nothing else, the book has a lot more thistles in it than any of my other books. *grins*

We also went to Target, in search of a hammer and a map of Denver. Hammer was easily located once I realized that "automotive" also included "tools." The map...was in with books, where I expected, but was on a row with computer programs, which we had ignored. But we finally found a good paper map. Barnes and Noble had several "quick-finder" maps, which are laminated, and never include the whole metropolitan area. Mom almost got one of those until I warned her about that. B&N also had several atlas-style Denver maps, none of which were user friendly. "Go to map ###" is not useful, when the map-numbering makes no sense to begin with. "Continued on page ###" is several orders of magnitude easier to work with.

Today? Well, I need to get to camp between 14:00 and 17:00 to check in and set up my tent. I would like to stop at Wild Oats and get some more Montina flour. I would also like to pop in at the Nepal Tibet import store, though that's less of a priority. We'll almost certainly eat lunch at Sri Thai again, though. :^D

No comments: