25 July 2006

Scout Mountain Butterfly, Take II


Yay! It loaded this time! This morning, blogger's picture-loader would sit and sit and sit...and usually return a blank, useless, screen. Anyway, this is the promised butterfly from Scout Mountain. It's definitely a sulphur of some sort, and looks a lot like this picture of a female orange sulphur. Despite the name, the pictured female is clearly green, while the male is yellow. *shrugs* Even weirder, the picture is described as being of the "white" form. So...I don't get it.

4 comments:

kate said...

That's a copasetic picture. You must have a fairly decent camera; mine (er, my 'rents') loses quality close up like that.

*morphs into Napoleonic voice*

Lucky!

Qalmlea said...

The trick with any (autofocus) camera is to figure out how far back you need to stand to make it focus on what you want. With my old camera, I would have needed to be less than 12 inches away to get that much detail. With my new one, I needed to be at least five or six FEET away. :^) Which is much less likely to scare off the butterfly.

Becky said...

I have struggled with our camera. Sometimes it takes great pictures, other times they are grainy and terrible.

That picture is beautiful. As I read your comments I started thinking it was yellow instead of green and a trick of the lighting. I have never seen a female before, though I have seen the males plenty. Odd.

Qalmlea said...

A big part of the reason I take so many flower pictures is that those are the first things I figured out how to make look good with my older camera. Birds rarely turned out as more than a blurry speck. Butterflies? If I was lucky, they showed up. Flowers, though, didn't care how close I got to them. *shrugs* Now that I have a real optical zoom, I can get good pictures of other stuff, too.