26 July 2006

My kind of Hummer

That research trail was too overgrown for me to make it very far. It branches off from the main trail just before the big bridge over the stream, and must not get very much use. If I try it again, I will remember to wear jeans, as much of the overgrowth is of the scratchy, thistle variety. But it wasn't a total wash-out. Some really interesting rocks, and... *grins maniacally*

HUMMINGBIRDS!


















The left picture is reduced, 30% of full size. The picture on the right is a full size crop from the first (blogger may have shrunk it just a bit). Have I mentioned how much I like my new camera? *grins* Anyway, my Rocky Mountain bird book lists four species of hummingbird. This one looks most like a female Calliope Hummingbird, Stellula calliope. There was another very similar hummingbird flitting around it: a sleeker-looking female (my one picture of her didn't quite focus). What I'm thinking is that the one above is a recent fledge, based on her fluffiness and on the fact that she mostly perched on a branch and didn't fly too much. The other one seemed impatient, and kept flying around, chirping at the non-flying one occasionally. Impatient mother, perhaps? :^D That's all speculation, but it fits.

2 comments:

kate said...

I wish I had sparkly green feathers like that.

Qalmlea said...

I wouldn't mind sparkly green hair. Feathers just aren't me. :^D