17 July 2006

From a Jeep Road up to Chinese peak

More catch-up flowers. :^D Not to be confused with the condiment as I muster up the photos and names.

At first, I thought this was just a small sagebrush in bloom. I was half-right. This is probably Silver Sagebrush, Artemisia cana. Except...FGRM says that Silver Sagebrush mainly grows east of the continental divide. So...it could be that. Might also be antelope brush. *shrugs*


This is quite pretty. It's also considered an invasive nuisance. Moth mullein, Verbascum blattaria. It's a European import that is still sometimes planted as an ornamental flower, but it spreads like mad. There were several areas up the road to Chinese Peak just filled with it. [One site suggested that people pull both this and common mullein whenever it is found...but I've never seen common mullein this...densely packed around here. It seems to have reached a balance with the native flora.]


This one isn't new...I just thought it was cool to have four bees all on the same flower. This is the thistle that I think is a variety of bull thistle, but I'm not completely certain. Definitely a thistle, either way.


Not a flower, but an...oddity. I turned up a side road (mainly because there was SHADE down it) and found the remnants of one or more drunken revels. I have no idea how, exactly, the broken tv remnants got up in the tree, but I imagine it went something like this:

"Dude, lookit. We can watch the game on this here tay-vay."
"You idjut. There ain't no 'lectricity up here!"
"Yeah? Wanna bet?"
"Just put it back in the truck."
"No!"
"Fine. I'll put it back."
Scuffle. CRASH!
"TV's broke, dude."
"Hey, if we put it up in the tree, we can still watch it!"

No comments: