26 July 2006

Baking Notes

(This post is mostly so I know what I did on my most recent batch of yeast bread.)

Starting from Bette Hagman's Featherlight Rice Bread, I used

3 cups flour total:
1 1/3 c featherlight flour mix (Bette Hagman's)
2/3 c Montina flour
2/3 c hazelnut flour
1/3 c sorghum flour
Add 1/2 c goat's milk (heated to 160 F) in place of some of the water

Plus I made my usual changes: rice protein isolate instead of dry milk powder; 2 T lemon juice instead of the vinegar; upped the honey; 1 T yeast; olive oil instead of margarine.

If anyone's still reading, I love the flavor of the Montina flour, but it does seem to be drier than other GF flours I've worked with. Last time I just upped the honey, but it wasn't enough. Milk always tends to make baked goods moister. I'm hoping the hazelnut flour will add some moisture, but I haven't really played with it yet.

Further notes: the "medium loaf" instructions seem to result in about 4 1/2 c dough. This divides well into five small bread pans with slightly less than a cup in each. 9/10 c to be precise, but it's easier to measure out one cup and remove about a tablespoon.

At any rate, they seem to be rising all right. I won't know for sure how I did until they're done baking. Luckily I've started early enough that I can redo it should they be horrid. :^) Why bake five small loaves instead of one larger? Several reasons: (1) Easier to cut; (2) Easier to find places for them in the cooler, esp. places up high out of the water; (3) Cutting one doesn't mean exposing ALL of them; (4) Avoids putting all the eggs in one basket. ;^) Also, they seem to taste better in smaller loaves. It's probably my imagination, but so be it.

RESULTS: Awesome taste and texture fresh out of the oven. The one I cut was a tad doughey, so I put them back in the oven (foil-wrapped and at a lower temperature) for a bit. But they do seem much moister than my last effort. The question is, how well will that moisture last? The recook seems to have been enough to get out the dougheyness (doughiness?). So bread is go.

No comments: