13 July 2006

Pirates, II

Highly recommended. It's...not quite as good as the original, but it comes close. I wasn't sure at the beginning, as ol' Jack Sparrow didn't quite seem to be himself, but that was soon (er, eventually) explained. Short version: There's a curse; again; this time about to come due on Jack's head. One thing I really liked were the homages to pirate films of days gone by. The classic sword-duel on the balcony, for instance. Also some nods to non-pirate films. Several scenes made me think Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One thing I like is the non-buddy nature of both this movie and the original. That is, you can't always count on the characters to stand up for each other. Okay, Will and Elizabeth are exceptions. But anyone else? *grins* When their interests coincide, sure. Otherwise, all bets are off. One thing did puzzle me, though... It was towards the end. I don't want to spoil too much, so I'll just ask a leading question: If you had in your poessession something that would kill the being to whom you owe your soul (more or less), would you (a) plan to bargain with the being or (b) take the opportunity to destory the being? Unless there's some reason that his death wouldn't negate the debt, I'd probably go with (b). It's a LOT safer.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I'm not reading this post until after I see the movie, which won't happen until after Kate gets back from camp, so I'll have to check this out later. But, I do want to say that I appreciate your bug away tips. I am searching for something for Kate (leaves Saturday) for mosquitoes. She is reacting really bad to them. Respiratory reaction can't be far away. They get really red, hard, swollen, and feverish. And camp is swarmin' with the little beasties. (Imagine Captain Jack Sparrow saying that - just to keep with your theme.)

Qalmlea said...

:^D I'm glad you find the info useful...only problem is, I've only had flies to test them against. Not mosquitoes yet. Hopefully Lemon Eucalyptus will work on them as well (and there's a study on that quantum health site that describes a well-designed test of their soybean oil product. If accurately reported, it repels mosquitoes about as well as Off.

Qalmlea said...

Another thought: witchhazel is an excellent treatment for bugbites.

John said...

Jack does say that killing Jones may not end the curse under the current circumstances.

Sorry if there are any spoilers in that. I tried to avoid them.

Qalmlea said...

Hmmm... if he said that outright, I missed it. :^D Luckily, my mom is interested in seeing it, so it's likely I'll be able to remedy this.

John said...

It's near the end, shortly before the 3-way swordfight.