10 July 2006

Experimenting



What's that strange black mess on the stove? That is my dinner. I tried out one of my new rice packages tonight. Black rice. More specific, black glutinous rice, which has nothing to do with gluten except the same root word. It means "sticky". I find that I really don't like cooking on hot, summer evenings. Which means I tend to simplify, or else eat cereal, or...something. Tonight I had thawed out chicken and not had time to cook it at noon, and was not in the mood for frying it. So I rinsed the rice and put it in the pan with the water and salt...and laid the chicken gently on top, then went hunting for other ingredients. I didn't have much. I finally threw in some dried apples and some curry spices (plus red pepper; LOTS of red pepper). Then I dumped a can of coconut milk on it (Note to self: decrease water next time you try that). The result...looks odd, but tastes all right. It definitely needs more salt and more...something else. Some bitter spice, like marjoram maybe. *shrugs* It's a hair too sweet. Maybe lemon juice would help. Actually, that's a good idea. I'll go put some in my bowl.

1 comment:

kate said...

Bored and browsing the foreign foods aisle, I recently bought some North African couscous. (I believe it was parmesean flavored, which probably isn't very authentic, but appealed to my appetite anyway.)I tried eating it tonight and couldn't get past a few bites. Too spicy.
Eh, I tried.