30 June 2006

Back

I got back to Pocatello a bit before 18:00 this evening. I left Portland at 6:50 (5:50 local time). I get really, really, really, REALLY, really, really, really, really tired of I-84 in Oregon. It's not so bad once it gets close to Idaho. I think the problem is that I don't like not being able to see long distances. The trees and hills in Oregon mean that you're basically driving down a long tunnel most of the time. In Idaho, that happens occasionally, but then there are wide open expanses where you can see for miles and miles. Washington wasn't as bad, or else I didn't have such a long stretch of it that it started to annoy me. Anyway, trip total was 1924 miles, though that may include 15 or so miles just prior to the trip. If I can dig up all my gas receipts, I'll figure Jean Luc's overall fuel rate, but as I recall it ran: 35 mpg from Pocatello to a gas station past Boise; 40 mpg from there to some odd place in Washington; 40 mpg from there to a gas station just inside the Washington border; 47 mpg from that gas station to Pendleton, which was my first gas stop today; 35 mpg from Pendleton to Caldwell. It took roughly half a tank to get from Caldwell back to Pocatello. The 47 surprised me, but that was mostly driving in and around Scappoose and Portland, which keeps the speed right around 50-60 mph most of the time.

Right. Enough with the numbers. Things I learned on this trip:
##>(1) Fibonacci gives good directions
##>(2) Low elevation forests can be quite annoyingly hot (I'm used to upper elevation forests, which are nearly always cool)
##>(3) Road signs are often redundant, ridiculous, or unintelligible
##>(4) I have higher stamina for long-term driving than I used to (I think this is courtesy of my longer hikes)
##>(5) Fish tanks are a pain (just ask Pam and Angus)
##>(6) Wrong turns often provide useful experiences (found a neat import store)
##>(7) It is possible to get free parking in downtown Portland, if you pick a parking garage affiliated with a place you're going (and remember to get the slip validated)

Seven seems like a good place to stop. Especially since I'm not entirely sure I'm coherent at the moment.

2 comments:

Becky said...

When we went a colleging, we stayed at the Hilton, downtown Portland (Priceline makes it all possible you know) and they had their own parking garage. We payed $25 a night plus tips. They are not overly generous. The lobby in that place is impressive, and they no doubt have some great rooms, but the one we were in was the tiniest we stayed in the whole trip. The view from the 20-somethingeth floor was impressive though.

Qalmlea said...

Whoa. I've never heard of a hotel charging for parking. I suppose a lot of their guests fly in... It would go over better if they offered "a $25 discount if you have no car to park." Or something like that.

:^) As for hotel rooms, all I care about are (1) clean; (2) shower works; (3) heating/cooling works. A comfortable bed is a plus, but not a necessity, as I'm perfectly happy sleeping on the floor.