18 June 2006

The Jungle Book(s)

I read the last poem in Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Books last night. I'd finished the last story two nights before. I didn't like it as much as I liked Kim, but it was certainly enjoyable. The common thread that runs through the book is Mowgli. There are a series of stories involving this lost human who was raised by wolves, which most people probably know already from the various film versions. I must register a protest at the treatment of Kaa, at least in the one version I've seen. Kaa was never a villain in any of the stories. A bit frightening, yes, not someone you wanted angry at you, yes, but certainly not a villain. The fact that they felt at liberty to make the snake a villain, regardless of the text, says a lot about our culture, then and now. But since the Mowgli stories are at least vaguely familiar to most people, I'll focus on the other stories.

The White Seal
Story about a seal growing up and looking for a place where human hunters cannot come after him or his clan. Enjoyable, and not something I would have expected from a writer in the 1800's. Not one of my favorites though.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
This is probably my favorite story from all of them. A mongoose is taken in by humans and protects them from some very dangerous cobras. I love the writing in this story, especially where it pokes fun at the dominant culture of the time.

Toomai of the Elephants
A young boy who wishes to work directly with elephants (to the dismay of his father), sneaks along when some "tame" elephants escape to join their wild brethren in the elephant dance. The 'elephant dance' strikes me as one of those legends that arise when people come across some major destruction, full of elephant sign, and start making up stories about it. But it makes for a good story.

Her Majesty's Servants
A bunch of animals who work for the army are discussing their relative merits and the status of the campaign. The interesting twist is the POV character.

The Miracle of Purun Bhagat
A disillusioned politician takes up residence in a holy shrine, and becomes holy thereby. There is, of coures, more to it, but I don't want to give too much away. This one is another favorite, both for the writing style and the overall message.

The Undertakers
This one is beautiful. Somewhat similar to Her Majesty's Servants, in that it's mostly a bunch of animals sitting aroud talking, but these are wild animals. Kipling has invented a hierarchy of relationships for them. The title is wonderfully ironic, but you'll have to read it if you want to know why. ;^)

Quiquern
Set in the far north, this one follows the (mis)adventures of an "Eskimo" (That term is now considered pejorative, but Inuit only refers to a specific tribe, so I'll stick with Eskimo unless I know the tribe involved). I have no idea how accurate a depiction of "Eskimo" society this is, but it's all plausible, at least, and does not have any obvious condescension in it. I like this one for its description of the northern ice floes, and for what the quiquern (mythical monster) turns out to really be.

Each story has a related poem after it. This is one of my favorites and it comes right after The Undertakers:


A Ripple Song
Once a ripple came to land
In the golden sunset burning—
Lapped against a maiden's hand,
By the fort returning.

Dainty food and gentle breast
Here, across, be glad and rest.
"Maiden, wait," the ripple saith;
"Wait, awhile, for I am Death!"


"Where my lover calls I go—
Shame it were to treat him coldly—
'T was a fish that circled so,
Turning over boldly."

Dainty foot and tender heart,
Wait the loaded ferry-cart.
"Wait, ah, wait!" the ripple saith;
"Maiden, wait, for I am death!"


"When my lover calls I haste—
Dame disdain was never wedded!"
Ripple-ripple round her waist,
Clear the current eddied.

Foolish heart and faithful hand,
Little feet that touched no land.
Far away the ripple sped,
Ripple
ripplerunning red!

3 comments:

John said...

I have read "the Jungle Books" as an adult, but I remember my mother reading "Rikki Tikki Tavi" and some of the Mowgli stories to me when I was little. I didn't recognize the other stories, though, so Mom may have read them from some disney-esqe collection (in fact I'm pretty sure that it must have been, since I remembered Kaa as a villain).

Qalmlea said...

Yeah. Fibonacci has a copy of the Jungle Book that only seems to have the Mowgli stories, with possibly one or two of the others.

But in the original stories, Kaa is one of Mowgli's advisors and helpers, just like Baloo and Baghera.

Fibonacci said...

Kaa wasn't very friendly, and specifically disliked wolves, but Mowgli managed to make friends of nearly everyone in the jungle except Shere Khan.