18 June 2006

Today I brought my dad and Buster their Father's Day presents. No clue yet whether Dad appreciated the book or not, but he seemed to like the not-quite-tennisball that I found for Buster. It's closer to the size of a softball, but still made to look like a tennisball. Dad liked it because it was easier to see in the yard, so he'd be less likely to mow over it. :^D I've seen the remnants of some regular size tennis balls he HAS mown over. This one is too big for Buster to get his mouth around, but he can pick it up by digging his teeth into the fuzz. He's at least three times as big as he was. (Ji'e'toh was sleepy all day today; apparently she spent the whole night outside)

We had dinner at Golden Corral this evening. Not my favorite, as there's very little I can eat, but we let Dad choose. We got there twenty minutes too early. When we arrived, it was a madhouse. Several buses were parked outside. However, most of them were finishing up, so that twenty minutes later it was almost deserted.

Tomorrow I'm helping Mom move her bed upstairs. I'd prefer to do it another day, but Mom's having a tooth replaced on Tuesday and isn't expecting to feel up to much of anything for a while after that (guess who the designated driver is :^). Hopefully we'll get that done in the morning. I'd like to drive down to Cherry Springs in the afternoon. Looks to be an easy, paved walk, rather than a hike, but I don't think I've been down there since a few gradeschool field trips.

I'm also thinking of teaching myself how to fish sans boat, as Dad seems less and less inclined to go on fishing trips. See, I know how to troll. You put the sinker on, put on the popgear (chosen for the type that the fish in the area prefer), put on a leader, put the hook on, and thread a worm onto the hook. Then you let the line out for 80-120 feet, depending on the water temperature, and wait. If you don't get any bites you (a) adjust the length and thereby the depth; (b) reel it in to check bait and/or change popgear. Problem is that trolling requires a boat with a motor, and I don't have one. So I figure I'll try bobber fishing sometime this summer, as it at least is somewhat similar (in that you throw the line out and wait). I know next to nothing about fly-casting, except that if you have the right fly after a major insect hatch, you can catch a LOT of fish. (Hmmm... I'll also have to teach myself how to clean them; I know the "theory" of what needs to be done :^D)

Oh, random tip: When heating up lasagna in the microwave, make sure it's covered. It's a lot easier to wash a bowl, say, than to scrub out the microwave. And, no, I didn't find out the hard way. I covered it to keep it from drying out too much and saw afterwards that it was a good thing that I had done so.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Of interest: the dads we acknowledged yesterday also wanted to eat at Golden Corral. And there were plenty more dads at that place than those two! When I think about the food there, I can appreciate it would be tough for you though.