11 June 2006

Dreaming

I woke up on a small pallet inside a larger room (which also contained a much larger bed). At first, this was the room of the king and queen (possibly my parents; possibly not). Then someone came to wake me, with presents for those in the room, and suddenly it was the room of my stepmother and one of her daughters. Anyway, the person with presents was a sixteen-year old girl in a blue nightgownish-dress. She gave me my present first, before my stepmother could wake up and forbid it. It was a blue pasteboard jewelry box, maybe 4 inches by 4 inches by 16 inches tall. It had small drawers running up and down the length of it, lined in black velvet as for holding jewelry. I hid it under a sort of vanity/counter just outside the bedroom.

*flicker*

I'm not in the hallway outside the bedroom any more. I'm in a hallway in a large, sci-fiesque city. Mostly white. There's a sense of energy, as of a bustling metropolis. I've just received news that a very bad thing has happened, involving the arrival of someone who looks like the priest who cuckolded Duncan in Sci-Fi channel's Children of Dune. This will require explanation. This guy, dressed in his brown leathers and white shirt, was a combination of the two most recent Stargate villains: replicators and priors. For those who don't watch the show, replicators started out as mindless machines that existed only to produce copies of themselves. They would consume all existing resources on a planet, and then move on. Eventually they somehow developed/acquired intelligence (I haven't seen the intervening episodes; just ones on either side of the change). In this case, I think the new arrival had some sort of mental control over technology. The priors are "missionaries" of the "Ori" (pronounced OR-aye), who claim to be ascended beings trying to help humanity achieve enlightenment. In fact, they're power-hungry parasites who feed off the worship of human beings. The priors have been altered by the Ori to have special powers (telekinesis is common). So this guy was bad news on many many levels. (Incidentally, all who refuse to worship the Ori will be summarily killed in the least pleasant way the prior can think of; sound almost familiar? It should.)

So Adam and I (Adam from Mythbusters, he's the one with the orange beard) were trying to get into the city's main defense grid. I'm not sure whether we were going to use it to get rid of the prior/replicator, or if we were just trying to lock it down so he couldn't get to it. At any rate, this involved getting into an elevator that would take us up (possibly down) to the grid and the rest of the city's machinery. This was not a normal elevator. It had a glass door (that looked suspiciously like the door of my new toaster oven), and a timer. I think the timer was less about how long it would take for the elevator-car to arrive (since it seemed to be there already), and more about waiting for the atmosphere inside to be breathable. Adam comments that "The elevator moves at exactly the rate of gravity, so we'll be in freefall on the way." This is why I think the machinery must have been down, below the earth's surface. If the elevator moves at the same acceleration as gravity, it will feel like freefall inside. The only question becomes, how does it stop without killing us?!??. That question wasn't addressed, as the dream ended shortly after the timer reached zero and we stepped inside the elevator.

The prior/replicator was visible, probably less than 50 feet away. I have no clue why he wasn't trying to stop us. It seems likely that he could jam the elevator if he wanted to. Perhaps he didnt' know what we were up to, or was planning to jam the deceleration device and let the elevator kill us. *shrugs*

No comments: