15 June 2006

A City Blinded by Lasagna!

This morning, I hiked up Pocatello's City Creek Trail. Insanely easy compared to all of my recent hikes, even though I often chose the most difficult route. There's a straight up bit right at the beginning (depending on which direction you start), but it only goes on for a hundred feet or so. Then it's flat at the top. Flat flat flat flat flat flat flat. Maybe a slight upward slope. After a while, a trail to the left headed up a steep incline, so I took it. Nice climb through some roses and next to a valley full of trees and bushes. The trail met up with a dirt road (probably only used by bikers and hikers now) with my choice of direction. I decided to head back down towards City Creek, as I'd already had one misadventure by going off the wrong way this week. :^D The road eventually turned into a single-track trail (with hints of the other track here and there). The walk by the creek was gorgeous. Shaded by willows and all sorts of trees and bushes that I didn't recognize (after learning the flowers of the area, I plan to start on trees and bushes; a few I know already). Incidentally, willows in bloom have a wonderful fragrance. I went up a ways through a sort of campground up there (fire rings and clearings; no labels that I saw), then decided it was time to head back. Next time I think I'll try to find the road to the campground. Then I'll probably try for Kinsey peak (more elevation gain).

At any rate, I saw many familiar flowers (including lots and LOTS of flax), and a few that were entirely new to me. I'll definitely post the new ones later, and any of the familiar ones that I really like. Also, I got some nice shots of the city, and a few of the stream.

So that was my morning. Most of my afternoon was taken up helping my mom return the blinds she'd ordered. Why? Because they got length and width backwards on every single one of them. They're redoing the order free of charge, almost. There's a small charge because the correct dimensions require a bit more of the, er, solid bit that supports the blinds. But that we agreed was reasonable. Between that and rescuing my mom's cell phone from the clutches of a lawyer's office >>>insert ominous music here<<<, my original plan of making lasagna tonight was impractical. So we're going to do it tomorrow night. Fred Meyer just got some GF lasagna noodles in (brown rice flour and...fiber, I think), and I want to try them. But I don't want to make a whole lasagna just for me (for one thing, I generally can't have cheese several days in a row without problems). So that's set for tomorrow night, unless something interrupts it.

Also for tomorrow: mowing the lawn. And folding laundry. I finally got several loads of delicates done (anything I really like gets washed on delicate so it will last longer), as well as getting blankets washed. My comforter isn't done yet, but it takes forever to dry and must be started in the morning. Okay, babbling now. Stopping now.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I buy foods from a place called Azure Standard out of Oregon. They have a lot of health foods and I bet they have some gluten free stuff. I don't know if the pastas I buy are; they are made from Jerusalem artichokes and are wonderful. The company is DeBoles.
Anyway, I thought you might want to check out the web site. They may deliver to your area by truck, but if not - it is possible to have them ship UPS. We love the granolas they sell, but again, I don't know if they are GF or not.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

Qalmlea said...

There's a place in Pocatello (The Cottage) that carries GF lasagna noodles, too. I just haven't seen this brand before. :^)

If the granola just has oats (and not wheat, rye or barley) AND if the the oats were not processed on the same equipment as wheat, rye, or barley... *shrugs* There are some rice-based "granolas" that I use to avoid the issue.

Looks like AzureStandard does have some GF stuff, but I usually order in bulk from Bob's Red Mill. I calculated the per pound cost including $100 shipping once, and it was STILL cheaper than the small bags available here in Pocatello.