23 June 2006

A Dangerous Combination...

I've got late birthday presents to deliver next week, so I've been wrapping them. I like wrapping presents. I like spending lots of time on them and making them quite, quite, er, interesting (some might say diabolical). They've become a bit less diabolical since I discovered origami boxes. Origami boxes take enough time that I don't feel like I'm cheating people. See, I figure that if I haven't spent some real time on the present, then it's essentially meaningless. Then there's my mom; I've seen her buy something, buy a gift sack, put the item in the sack, and call it good.

However, I've come to the conclusion that wrapping presents while I'm cleaning is a bit dicey. Why? Because I keep discovering things that could be used to make the wrapping more complete! I mean, there's all this tissue paper that I've gotten when buying glass objects. There are plastic and paper sacks. Envelopes. Magazines. Stickers. String. Phone cords (yes, I've really used phone cord; it was a cord that no longer worked properly). Duct tape. Scrapbook paper. Confetti. I even used three foot long bamboo sticks to wrap a present for my dad once. Oh, foil is good. Saran wrap less so. If a towel is part of the gift, I've been known to use it as part of the wrapping. Basically, anything flexible is fair game. Anything else that I can find a way to use is also fair game. I just came across some rubber stamps...but I won't be able to do anything with them unless I also find the ink pad that goes with them. *sighs*

Anyway, back to cleaning. Hopefully I won't find anything else that seems usable in gift-wrapping. [Incidentally, most people would consider the presents completely wrapped at this moment. I consider them acceptably wrapped.]

No comments: