11 June 2006

The Effect of Music

I don't think people realize how much effect music has on their perceptions. This may be because we've been trained by movies to associate certain types of music with certain situations. Anyway, the effect can be quite entertaining. I put the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves soundtrack on while doing dishes, and then turned on Discovery channel during "Everything I Do." TV is muted and showing images of ants and termites fighting, feeding, etc. with "I would fight for you...I'd lie for you...Walk the world for you...Yeah, I'd die for you!" playing. Quite amusing.

2 comments:

kate said...

Music has an enormous impact on our culture, to an almost frightening extent.

On New Year's a few years ago, my family rented The Wizard of Oz and watched it while playing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". (We were testing the urban legend concering certain unconfirmed coincidences.) It altered my perception of both, to be sure.

Qalmlea said...

:^) I've heard about that, but I don't currently have a copy of Wizard of Oz to check it out. (I do have Dark Side of the Moon, though; I prefer The Division Bell)