03 June 2006

Blackened

An unfortunate event this afternoon. I heard a horn honk. Not unusual, as I live on a busy street. Then I heard a very loud crash and much squealing of wheels. I made it to the window in time to see a large red pickup pushing a smaller SUV about a hundred feet. The SUV wound up halfway in my driveway. A neighbor called the police. A man got out of the SUV, seeming to be unhurt. A woman (the driver) also got out, and immediately lay down on my neighbor's grass. She didn't move much. At minimum, I figure she hit her head. The worst damage was on the driver's side. I didn't see what happened with the people in the red pickup; at least one was walking around as if unhurt.

Near as I can tell, the red pickup was attempting to make a right onto the far lane of the street while the SUV was driving in the near lane. The pickup missed the lane, and the SUV was in exactly the wrong place. Now, I've driven large pickups, and it can be tricky to get them turned into the appropriate lane in close quarters. However, the fact that this red pickup pushed the SUV back about a hundred feet indicates that the driver must have floored it when he pulled onto the street. Not smart. Interestingly, my mom (who stopped by when she saw that my block was cordoned off) has seen a large red pickup careen out of that area several times before. Can't be certain it's the same pickup, but it wouldn't surprise me.
At any rate, one person from each vehicle left on a stretcher. The SUV's driver seemed to be the worst off.

Ah, and you're probbaly wondering why I titled this "blackened" (or else you've just concluded that it was entirely random, as some of my titles are). Two reasons. There was a large quantity of black liquid on the street. At a guess, the SUV's oil reservoir was cracked. Also, while I was outside trying to see what was going on, the hamburger/tomato sauce/spice mixture I was browning got a bit black.

No comments: