15 March 2008

Titanic Puzzle, with Monsters

Weird weird dream, verging on nightmare. It started at "the" mall, which vaguely resembled the local Pine Ridge Mall. I was there with the Scoobies from Buffy. I went outside in what would have been Shopko's parking lot, only there was no Shopko, to check out some loud noises we'd been hearing. I was actually expecting it to be monsters, but it took me a while to spot them. They were on the western horizon, slowly coming towards the mall. I ran back inside.

"Uh, guys...? You're not going to believe this." Er, why not? They were the Scoobies, after all??? Or maybe they didn't have an identity in the dream until I'd seen the monsters, and then they became the Scoobies by default? *shrugs*

At any rate, once they'd decided that, yes, monsters were coming, we ran around in unproductive circles in the mall. My POV character became Willow at some point and she/I yelled at Xander for running around in circles...and then ran and hid under bed. No, I don't know why there was a fully made bed in a room immediately off the mall that did not seem to be a mattress store

And while she/I was hiding there, we saw this huge HUGE spider shadow, and I thought that one of the monsters was a giant tarantula and it had followed us under the bed...only it turned out to be a trick of the light, as the actual spider was about an eighth of an inch in diameter, and we squashed it with a book for scaring us. Naturally, at that point, one of the semi-humanoid monsters made it into the room.

Despite being under the bed, I had a clear look at him from above. Think zombie/Frankenstein-like monster, about 1.5 times as big as a human, with greyish skin, tattered clothes, and lots of stitching. He/it seemed to know that I/Willow were under the bed, and I had a "memory" of this "episode" and was waiting for the knives to come tearing through the mattress to get us. They didn't. If anything, it seemed he/it was going to bounce on the bed as hard as he could and hope it crushed us.

*half-wake-up*

I wake up enough to see that I'm on top of a bed, not under it, and that my alarm clock has just started glowing (the light gets brighter and brighter for a half hour before it goes off, simulating a sunrise). Then I drift back into sleep, but not quite into the same dream.

So I stay on top of the bed in the new dream, and Bataan (one of Cheng Manch'ing's students, who leads the summer taiji camps that I go to) is there, directing a tour of a very weird Titanic museum. The bed floats by a table of artifacts and two catch my eye. They're both pendants, maybe 2-3 inches across. Before I pick them up, they both look like glass cut/faceted to look like a gem. One looks that way after I pick it up; the other, when I turn it over, has a glowing, spherical amber stone set in the middle. It feels like the stone is looking at me, so I hastily put the pendant down.

Meanwhile, a large puzzle has been put together to cover the entire floor. I say the bed must have been floating, because otherwise it would have torn up this puzzle. Parts of it were of fish and things swimming by the wreckage; parts were probably bits of people's lives who had died aboard the Titanic, one part was this, for no obvious reason... And either the floor was uneven, or the puzzle didn't quite fit, as it's starting to go up a wall in at least one corner.

I'm sure there are some details I've forgotten, but not long after I noticed the corner-thing, my alarm went off.

Incidentally, last night I had an odd dream, but there's less detail-recall. My mom and I were heading into a new restaurant in a dark, omnious brick building. I was hoping there was a menu posted, so I could see if they served any food I could eat. But as soon as we walked into the building, the dream changed. A woman was standing in Jeremy Irons' office, smiling at him. Apparently he was a dentist, and she was supposed to be bringing her young son to see him.

"He'll be here in a few minutes," she said.

"If you wouldn't let him run around in traffic, he'd be here now," Jeremy Irons retorted.

Meanwhile, in one of the pictures on the wall behind the woman, her little son was peeking out at a man in a chair. There was a sense that this had been going on for hours, this game of hide and seek in the pictures (think Harry Potter pictures), and that the boy was deathly afraid of the man in the chair...

And that's all I remember of that one.

No comments: