04 March 2008

Recently...

Well, I think the doctor I talked to on Friday was full of himself. He seemed to think what I had was not bacterial, and that it was, in fact, normal for a viral infection to go on for 3-4 weeks. Not for me it ain't, and the day after I started on the antibiotics, the yellow tinge to the mucus was gone. Today, I feel just fine for what seems like the first time in several weeks. Now, if all I needed was a "placebo", the goldenseal and/or the garlic should have been enough. I do realize that they don't want to encourage the evolution of antibiotic resistant bacteria...or rather the further evolution of antibiotic resistant bacteria, but I just wanted to slap that doctor. Or worse.

Also on Friday, I played junior accountant. My mom's assistant had funeral duties, and there was a deadline coming up, so I drove down to help out. There actually wasn't much to do. I smiled nicely at a few people who came in the door before shuttling them off to Mom's office (unless she came out first), punched numbers into a weird computer program, and spent most of the time grading stats tests. I did miss a few numbers on one return, mainly because I didn't notice the "next" button on a screen, but otherwise no problems. Oh, I did answer the phone once and had to write down a random assortment of charitable donations for my mom to put into someone's return. Observations on accounting: very dull and much wasting of paper. When I suggested to my mom that she could save paper by laminating the appropriate forms and writing on them with an overhead marker, she looked at me like I was nuts. I mean, it's going in the computer anyway, right? Why keep the scratch work? *shrugs*

As for taiji on Saturdays, Don's a bit fed up with the long form. Mark seems to be even more fed up. I'm...not quite fed up, but since the third section is as long as the first two sections combined, and we've spent maybe 5 months just to get the first two sections... I'm just as happy to close it off at the end of the second section. I do think it was valuable to learn as much as we did; I'd just like to get back to Cheng Manch'ing for a while. Don hinted once that he might see about having us go through William CC Chen's 60-move variant of the Cheng Manch'ing form at some point; apparently he put back in a few long-form moves that Cheng Manch'ing took out.

As it's edging towards midterms, every class but stats has tests coming up, and stats had theirs last week. In Math 123 we've been playing with graph theory, and I've discovered that I'm much better at making graphs to print out than I was a year or two ago, when last I taught it. Two years ago. Grandma was still alive. Through most of it. And in Math 143 we're mainly graphing various kinds of functions, and maximizing and minimizing anything that's quadratic.

At any rate, now that I feel like I'm functioning up to par again, I'll probably be posting more regularly. Most likely. Unless I get distracted by things that didn't get done when I wasn't feeling well. Oh, one annoyance with the antibiotic: it needs to be taken with food, but not with anything high in calcium. I didn't realize how much I relied on goat's milk and yogurt until I started trying to find things that were safe to eat with it. *sighs*

No comments: