13 March 2008

Free Rice



I keep coming across this site, playing for a bit, and forgetting about it, so I decided to put a permanent link in the sidebar. What do they do? They donate grains of rice for every correct answer you give to a vocab quiz. It's for real: the first time I encountered it, I wondered if it was a scam, but they really do donate rice for playing. You will notice ads run across the bottom of the page as you play; that's where the money for the rice comes from. But if you need to play a game for a while, why not play one that accomplishes something in the real world?

(15 minutes later) Okay, that color clashes with my blog... so we'll try this one:




Ah... much better. (Modified using Printmaster Gold 17, "frosted sepia" effect.)

4 comments:

Sweet Baby James said...

How'd you get a picture on your sidebar with a url link? I'm trying to figure it out, but that could take days.

Thanks.
snark@nc.rr.com

Snark said...

Uh, that was my cat writing that last post, but I still want to know. He will be in big trouble when he finds out I have detected his computer use.

Qalmlea said...

Well, what I did was load the picture into a blog post first, and changed the link to "www.freerice.com", instead of having it point to the picture.

Then I copied and pasted the html code for THAT into a new sidebar widget (html-javascript-something). I wasn't sure if it would work, but it did. ^/^ If I were more html-savvy, I could have done it without posting it to the blog first, I suppose, but oh well.

Snark said...

Oooh, cool! Thank you very much.