07 March 2008

GF Products: Annie's Mac & Cheese

Full title: Annie's Rice Pasta and Cheddar: Gluten Free

This is quite good, and has lately been something of a staple for me.

The Pasta: Good texture and flavor, provided it's cooked enough. With most GF noodles/pasta, overcooking is more of a problem. With these, I find that I'm more likely to undercook them. Last night I tried boiling them for 14 minutes, and it came out about right. (FYI: elevation is approx. 4500' here) I also had been having a problem of the elbows sticking together, but once they were sufficiently cooked, that problem went away.

The Cheese Sauce: Good flavor. I would suggest halving the amount of milk the package claims you should use, unless you like extremely watery mac & cheese. So I've been using roughly an eighth of a cup of milk. Do follow the directions to mix the sauce mix and milk together before pouring over the cooked noodles, unless you like glomps of undissolved cheese-sauce-mix.

The Caveat: There are roughly two servings in the package, one if I'm extremely hungry, and it is a bit pricier than non-GF mac and cheese. Still, I find that it's worth the price.

I generally buy it at Fred Meyer, but it's available here if you can't find it locally.

Gluten Free Tips Index

No comments: