24 December 2005

Christmas Greetings

Okay, Howard Tayler (author of Schlock Mercenary; if you haven't read it, you should) has some thoughts on the holiday season that are right on:

There are those, of course, who will take offense at "Merry Christmas" AND "Happy Holidays." Usually these are people whose own belief system doesn't advocate any sort of holy day during this season, but sometimes they're just grumpy people. Having been grumpy myself once or twice, I know where they're coming from. And as a writer whose global audience almost certainly includes at least a couple of these people, I'm led to ponder what kind of greeting I could offer, what kind of message I could post that would be appropriate, inoffensive, and yet full of meaning.

I think I've found one. Worshippers of Christ will find it timely, and will see it as a reminder of who they are and what they should be about. Those familiar with the Christian message will certainly recognize it, but will find it difficult to argue with. Those unfamiliar with the lore of the season may wonder a bit at the wording, but will have a difficult time arguing with the sentiment.

And so it is that I hope you all enjoy peace on Earth, good will towards men.

(Uh-oh. I think I may have offended an entire camp of feminists. Is it too late for me to change "men" to "humans?")

(And... here comes PETA, right on cue. I give up.)


In a similar vein, here is a take on The Grinch that is quite well done. Excerpt:


Every Who down in Who-ville

Loved the Consti-Who-tion a lot.

But the O'Reilly, who lived up in Fox-ville,

Did NOT!




Oh, Fibonacci and I (mostly Fibonacci) came up with a more politically correct version of Howard Tayler's greeting:

"Peace and/or Risk to all the known and unknown universe(s), and good will toward various beings who exist within or without them."

1 comment:

Fibonacci said...

Note: "Risk" was chosen as something for those who like war as opposed to peace.