25 December 2005

Chinese Curses

May your life be interesting.

Yeah... that about sums up my morning. First, I couldn't find the coconut milk that I bought last week. I had one can in the cupboard, which was almost enough for the custard, but then I still had the coconut rice. Okay, so I tried making some from shredded coconut, and concluded that you need a better press than my hand and a stronger mesh than my strainer to get enough of the moisture out. So I was going to be stuck using lite coconut milk. Annoying, but doable. Then the timer beeped for the custard. I opened the oven to check and see if it was done. It slid out and spilled all over the floor. Parts of it had been done, but now they were floor decorations. And I was out of coconut milk.

So in a fit of desperation, I drove around to see if anyone was insane enough to be open on Christmas. I am pleased to report that no major stores were, not even Wal-Mart. There was activity at Wal-Green's and Denny's, and a street cleaner taking the rare opportunity of closure to go through Wal-Mart's parking lot. I am more pleased to report that during the drive, I remembered where I had put the new cans of coconut milk. So I got back, started over, got the rice made, and now the custard is baking again. With clothespins on the stove-shelf to keep the pan from bloody well sliding out again. *smiles sweetly*

(Incidentally, adrenaline + decongestant + yerba maté tea = mildly insane flurry of activity, including talking to the pans and bowls and mixtures)

Anyway, lunch will likely be late now, as I had planned to be over at Grandma's by 10:00 to start cutting up the chicken, and, look, it's 10:20 and I'm writing a blog-post, waiting for custard to bake instead.

Oh, before I forget again:

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Feliz Navidad! Fröhliche Weinachten! Joyeaux Noel! Season's Greetings! (except ginger; all other seasonings I greet) 圣诞快乐!

(and may your day be far less interesting than mine :-)

No comments: