19 August 2005

Waking from Dreams...

Another strange dream, of which I only remember the ending scene. I was sitting on the floor in what appeared to be the common area of a dorm: lots of couches and chairs, cheap carpet, and possibly a Christmas tree tucked away in one corner. There were three people not sitting on the floor. One looked like a girl I worked with at the University of Wyoming for a summer. She was apparently a sophomore, and was complaining that everyone thought she was a freshman. So when her mom brought her the traditional sophomore bread (??), someone insisted that she was only entitled to the brown gift bag. No clue where any of THAT came from. Anyway, in two chairs opposite the non-freshman were someone whose face I never saw and Jeremiah. I was rather bored by the non-freshman's speech and thinking what a pity it was that I'd never had a chance to tie Jeremiah's shoes together (that was my trademark once upon a time; I now tend to ASK people first, and most of them just look at me like I'm insane). Anyway, a moment later Jeremiah's and the unseen person's shoes had been...covered in some sort of flexible brick. Jeremiah's shoes had been covered in green brick (like, colored cornstarch packing peanuts), while the other person's were covered in red. From the reactions of those around me, I was responsible, but I'm not sure how since a moment before the shoes had just been shoes. At this point, the sound of Buddhist chanting came from the hallway (the really deep, deep, DEEP chanting), and then some chimes (I called them Tibetan chimes in the dream) started jangling, as if in response to the chanting. We all thought it was perfect timing...and then my alarm went off.

The most interesting aspect of the dream was the timing of the chant, chimes, and alarm. Every so often, I wake up just BEFORE the alarm goes off, or just BEFORE the phone rings. Not always, but once in a while. To be fair, this one may have a very simple explanation: I've got an alarm clock with a light that gets gradually brighter and brighter, and hits the brightest point just as the alarm goes off. So my subconscious brain may have noticed the level of brightness and thought, "Ah, time to get her closer to wakefulness." Hence the chanting and chimes.

No comments: