15 August 2005

Paint... Check. Light fixture... Check.

Except for a minor touch-up to the red paint, the painting phase of remodeling the back room is now complete. So today I put in the new light fixture. One small snag... I couldn't find the directions. I have changed out fixtures before, but never one with a chain and swag. Eventually I got it figured out, but was somewhat nervous about turning the power back on. What worried me most was the grounding wire. It was out in the open, running through the chain. So long as everything else was right, this would not be a problem. If I had misidentified the live wire, or if the wires somehow crossed, this would be bad. While I was still contemplating this, my mom dropped by with some mail and stuff. As she was turning to leave, I said, "Wanna stick around and see if my light blows up?" The look on her face was priceless :-D. And she did stick around. I turned the power back on, came back in and flipped the switch...and there was light. No boom or sparks, and the grounding wire was not carrying any current. So it worked.

Then I needed to put in a ceiling hook to hold the light up (without any other hooks, it hangs about a foot off the ground). So I used my hand-dandy studfinder to find a stud in the ceiling, drilled, and...missed. Fine, the hooks came with anchors as well as wood-screws. No go. The anchor wouldn't work right. Turns out I had barely missed the stud, and the anchor wouldn't open next to it. So I drilled another hole slightly to the right, hit wood, and put the hook in. Which left me with a large hole in the ceiling where I had tried to use the anchor. I'm trying woodfill on it. Not sure how well it's going to work, and it's another red touch-up spot.

Okay, black decorative rope...black decorative rope... I think it'll look cool, as well as hide my lack of finesse in getting adjacent red and white walls not to bleed on each other. :-D Outtie corners: beautiful, clean color lines. Innie corners...let's just say they could be better. Hence, decorative black rope. But I'm almost to the point of putting the floor in. Once that's done, everything else is details. I can start moving furniture in and actually USE the room.

No comments: