12 August 2005

Floor, Lunch, Paint

Well, this morning I finally found a floor for the room I started remodeling last summer (exhaustion interrupted me then the school year started and I never got back into it; what is it about August, anyway???). I'd been hoping to get bamboo flooring, but no one around here carries it. However, I found some cheap laminate flooring that looks good and should be easy to install (no tools except a saw required, and I do need to break in my tablesaw :-D). After I picked the boxes up, my mom invited me to lunch. We (including my dad) ate at Chang's Garden. Good food. It was enjoyable until my mom happened to mention a complementary medicine book she'd just ordered; that set my dad off on a rant about how all the doctors around here are engaged in a social war against the Mormons (gotta wonder: what about Mormon doctors? Are they at war with themselves?). Mom and I managed to ignore him and did our best to steer the conversation towards something safer, like nitroglycerin or missing uranium cores. I'm just grateful that he didn't single either me or Mom out for a worse kind of rant.

Anyway, my mom insisted that I come to the church with her to listen to the organ and some of the settings she'd picked out. The organ has started vibrating something awful lately. At one point, she pushed a key and I didn't connect the noise that ensued to the organ: it sounded like there was a construction crew outside. She managed to find a few sounds that didn't vibrate all to the Dickens, then she started in on the electronic piano. She said she'd been trying for 'haunting' with one setting. I winced when I heard it, and it didn't get any better. It sounded like a '70's bubble machine, and I told her so. Then she switched to another one. I still didn't like it much (too brown), but it was better than the bubble machine.

Then I got home and decided I ought to finish painting the room. Tomorrow I'll look at it and see what needs touching up. The white parts do; I wasn't careful enough with the red paint. Basically, three of the walls are red (real, crimson red), and one is white. The trim on the door (on a red wall) is white, and the trim on the two windows is opposite the wallcolor (white trim on the red wall, red trim on the white wall). It looks good, but it's a bloody pain not having the colors infect one another. Then I have to solve the problem of the missing baseboard. I had planned to simply take the baseboard off the walls, and started to do so. Unfortunately, the nonbrilliant person who finished that room had not put sheetrock all the way to the floor. The baseboard had been put in to cover this. I don't want to put the baseboard back where I've removed it, so I think I'll get some thin wood, paint it black, and just 'line' that area of the room. Not sure how tall to make it. 8-16 inches, most likely. I might luck into something ready-made that would work...guess I'll start haunting Home Depot and maybe wander up to Lowe's in IF.

I also need to decide what to do with the door... I definitely want to paint it, but not red or white. I've got a sort of tan/khaki left from the living room, but it wouldn't look good in there. Maybe I'll paint it white and put some Chinese characters on it (BIG Chinese characters) in black with red accents. That would look good. (Yes, I'm rambling; I just spent three hours breathing paint fumes and I'm starving. I'd be more concerned if I WASN'T rambling).

No comments: