02 July 2005

Ha! It wasn't just tension in the shoulders!

I've been struggling in push-hands for a while, with a very simple motion. With my arm out in a bang (basically, relaxed and open in front of my center), a two-handed push often leaves me feeling like I have no room to deflect it. Part of the problem is tension in my shoulder (it only takes a miniscule amount to have a major impact). But I was convinced there was something else, and today Don diagnosed it. Part of the problem was that the one pushing me (today it was Richard) was refusing to follow my deflection, and I felt trapped. Well, it turns out that there's a simple solution. If I continue to turn WITHOUT tensing my arm, and my attacker does not turn with me, it sets me up for a beautiful counter-push. No force at all needed. :-D

No comments: