12 February 2008

Gluten Free Products: Amy's Rice Crust Pizza

The local Fred Meyer carries one variety of frozen gluten free pizza. The brand name is "Amy's". It's a cheese pizza on a rice flour crust. I bought one a month or so ago to have around on a night when I needed a low effort meal. It was okay, but no where near worth the price.

It's a very thin crust, which is good in a frozen pizza because that makes it more likely to get crisp in the middle. Flavor and texture wise... Eh, it actually reminds me of some cheap, non-GF pizzas that I used to microwave way back when. Bland crust. Almost no toppings. I mean, I think I put more tomato sauce on a single rice cake pizza (approx. 3" across) as was on this entire 10" pizza. More cheese, too. I did have some mozzarella on hand to help the cheese out, and I put some Canadian bacon slices on it.

It was...edible, but little more than that. Without the extra toppings, I doubt I would even call it edible. That said, it's no worse than most of the non-GF frozen pizzas I've tried in the past, and perhaps better than some. So I think the problem is not that it's gluten free. The problem is that it's a frozen pizza, and there seems to be no such thing as a good, well-made, frozen pizza. Since it is GF, and made with some organic ingredients, the cost is rather ridiculous compared to the actual product. I have no plans to buy one again. I'd just as soon stick with ricecake pizzas. They taste better and cost less.

GF Tips Index

No comments: