22 February 2008

2^10 and time to maunder

I didn't actually notice when I crossed the 10^3 mark in posting, but I happened to notice that this would be the 2^10'th post, so I figure I'll mention that. I don't think I like having a 3-credit class that meets once a week. Too much to process all at once, which is certainly part of the reason that I haven't posted much about my philosophy/literature class. That and I'm usually exhausted after it on Wednesdays.

We've been reading various tragedies and discussions of tragedies. Prometheus Bound. Oedipus. Antigone. There's an almost crystalline quality to the feelings evoked by a well-written tragedy, as if there's something that they could reveal to us that we can't see in everyday life. Sometimes I've encountered that crystalline sense in my own life, but it's rare, and it disappears quickly, as if it were ice to melt away. I'll try to find more to say about it at some point.

Still feeling mostly better. I got the impression that this cold was trying to turn bacterial on me, and I'm fed up with doctors at the moment, so I'm trying goldenseal to head it off. It seems to have an effect on the mucous membranes of the nose, if nothing else. As I've only taken one dose thusfar, I can't eliminate the possibility that it was due to the placebo effect. We shall see. I don't want to drag myself out to the clinic THREE times in the space of three months. Ack. So I'm hoping the goldenseal works.

What else... Oh yes. The kittens got their booster shots this week. The vets remembered Jilly. They said, "Oh, she hate us." But apparently with me there, she was a lot calmer than she'd been for her first shots. Incidentally, I was able to lure the male cats into the carriers using food. The females weren't remotely fooled. And I think I'm out of things to ramble about.

No comments: