17 April 2007

Easy Pizza

While I do like to bake my own pizza crusts for use, sometimes I run out. And sometimes I don't want to take the time to thaw one out (or bake new ones). But there is a quick and easy version, even for the gluten-intolerant. Ricecake pizzas.
I use Lundberg's brown and wild ricecakes, but any ricecake would work.

The only "trick" is to use more tomato sauce than you would on a regular pizza crust. What happens is that the sauce soaks into the ricecake while the pizza bakes, making it less crumbly—up to a point. Too much tomato sauce makes it too gooey. I think I use roughly two tablespoons of sauce for each ricecake. Then I layer on a cheese blend, and add meat if I have any. For no extra work, you can add Canadian bacon (or pepperoni, if you suffer from THAT ailment, ;^) If I'm feeling more ambitious, I brown some sausage for it. After layering on the cheese and meat, bake at about 375° for twenty minutes. Voila. Nearly instant pizza. It's better than any frozen pizza I ever tried, with little extra work.

5 comments:

Becky said...

Nice tip, thanks! I have a friend who was recently diagnosed as gluten intolerant, so I have been trying to pass on good info to her as well. You have some great ideas.

I just made a yummy cookie from scratch that a non-gfer said tastes like it has wheat flour in it. I did it without measuring and now I have to repeat the experiment to get my quantities right so I can share the recipe

This is turning out to be an interesting adventure (though I definitely miss many foods.)

Qalmlea said...

The main things I miss are Triscuits and shredded wheat. I missed Grapenuts, too, until I discovered Kasha (roasted buckwheat). Different flavor, but a very similar texture.

The hardest thing for me was figuring out how to make yeast bread. Eventually I figured out that the water temperature was key, and that Bette Hagman's recommended 105 degrees was not nearly enough when it was being mixed with equal amounts of room temperature liquid.

Qalmlea said...

Oh, fair warning: These ricecake pizzas do tend to be messy. Lining the pan with aluminum foil makes clean-up easier. :^)

cindyjanes said...

I was excited to find this website and see all of the restaurants I can eat at here in pocatello. I am interested in trying the "easy Pizza" recipe. Do I just use any old rice cake or where is it that i find this brand you are recommending?

Thanks!
Cindy

Qalmlea said...

If you want the brand that I use, it's at Fred Meyer. It used to be with their natural foods chips, but it recently got moved to their gluten-free section. I would say that it probably doesn't matter much which brand you use, so long as you're sure it's gluten free. I'm a bit suspicious of "Quaker" brand ricecakes, because I know that they process oats, and I'm not sure if they process wheat or barley or any of that.