06 February 2008

Fever

So. I mentioned that I stayed home from taiji because of a fever. I've still got it. It's been hovering around 100.4° F ever since. I thought it was starting to break last night, but, no, it's back again this morning. Other than the fever, and some mild fatigue likely caused by the fever, there aren't really any other symptoms. Maybe a touch more trouble breathing than usual. That's it. Fever. It's...annoying. According to a nurse that my mom knows, for a fever like that to linger on, it's probably bacterial. *sighs* I really don't want to have to go into a doctor again. But I think if the blasted thing is still with me on Friday, I'd better.

Incidentally, there are actually specific diagnostic criteria for something called ""Fever of Unknown Origin." You can't just call a fever that if its origin is unknown. It must be demonstrably unknown, as testified to by a series of tests and physicians. To which I reply, "There must be rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

ADDENDUM: I did go into the walk-in clinic today, largely because it seemed like I was getting worse rather than better. The primary benefit of it was that I had time to grade Math 143 tests while I was waiting. The doc decided to give me Flovent for the breathing issues, but didn't think the symptoms were bacterial due to the lack of major sinus issues. He figures that I got a virus that decided it wanted to make a home in my lungs. So apparently I need to evict the blasted thing. One more lecture to give this week. This would be more reassuring had I already written the test that I'm supposed to give tomorrow in lieu of lecturing.

No comments: