22 January 2008

Update

Well, the first class to turn in homework go their assignments back the very next class period. If this pattern continues through the semester, it will be a fairly major miracle. However, at least this semester I don't have any nightmare days. I've got time before each class to take a calm, quiet look at the material, rather than a frazzled five minute glance over and a cross-fingers that I don't forget anything. Wednesdays are long, as I've got a once-a-week class that meets for 2.5 hours, but that's more for fun than anything else. Also, it's Levenson. Philosophy and Literature. Which reminds me that I never did post my two papers from last semester... Maybe later.

And we just had our pointless holiday-the-Monday-after-starting, as per tradition. On the plus side, I got into a bar fight with an orc (goblin?) because of it, so I can't complain too much. Except that he got away.

Also, Sunday was my mom's birthday. She got her presents Sunday but her cake yesterday. Devil's Food Cake. I'm wondering if it also needs the flour in it reduced, as the Date Pudding did. It turns out okay, just with a slightly odd texture. As for presents, I printed out some pictures of Akron (her hometown) and put them in a cheap collage frame. I also printed out a picture of Grandma (and played with contrast and brightness, as the lighting had been horrid), and put it in a very nice frame that I found on clearance. It could have been gaudy, but they got just the right amount of crystals on it.

Oh, and today nearly every school district in this part of Idaho cancelled. Except Pocatello and maybe Blackfoot. Why? Cold. It was -8 here when I got up, and -16 in IF. My students wanted bonus points for coming through the cold. I told 'em that when I was in school, the cut-off was -20, so it was plenty warm enough! ^/^

No comments: