19 January 2008

Moonlight (again)

Okay, I'm impressed. Also puzzled. But as I don't impress easily, and what impressed me is a fairly major spoiler from last night's episode, so it's below the fold.

Once it become clear that Coraline had returned as a human, I expected her to simply disappear (or die) and then Mick would spend the rest of the series on a never-fruitful quest for her cure. Nope. He actually got the cure last night. Though it was rather predictable that, as soon as it became clear it was working, the bad guys would drop in, and he wouldn't be half as effective a fighter. Btw, the cure is not permanent. No word yet about how long it lasts.

What impresses me is that this changes the formula for the show for at least one episode, possibly several, in a way that I can only recall ever seeing Jos Whedon do. He used to tease his actors that "this is the episode where your character dies!" They didn't find it amusing, since they knew it was all too possible that he might actually do it. But he would make major changes with very little warning. Sometimes for plot reasons, sometimes for OOC reasons. In S4, the storyline with Oz and Verruca was supposed to be more drawn out, but Seth Green got a movie offer (I think it was for one of the Austin Powers movies) and wound up having to drop out early, so Jos moved the storyline up.

But most of the time, once a tv show has its formula down, it deviates from it very, very little. Moonlight has definitely borrowed some elements from Forever Knight, at minimum, but it's using them in a very distinct way.

Oh, I did decide that part of the reason I found the revenge scene so funny was the makeup they're using for Mick's vamped-out look. It's a bit too...clownish. Like, ghoulish clown, but still "clown." That wasn't the only factor, but I'm sure it contributed.

No comments: