16 January 2008

A Tale of Three Chairs

Once upon a time, my mom decided she wanted a new recliner. She didn't like either of those that she'd inherited from Grandma, but one was a bluish green and had shot springs to boot, so that one was slated for replacement. She really hates bluish green, for no discernible reason.

So she looked and looked and found nothing but swivel-rocker-recliners, which did not please her. Finally she tried an older store downtown and they could order her any color she wanted. They suggested a smaller chair that would fit her frame better. So it was ordered, and it came in a few months later... and was too small for her. (I've forgotten what she did with the old bluish green one at this point).

So she went looking some more and found another store that could order a chair that was not a swivel-rocker for her. It came in...and it was a swivel rocker. They tried again. It came in...and it was a swivel rocker. Finally, on the third try, they managed to get it through the manufacturer's thick maze of paperwork that they did not want a swivel rocker, and, lo and behold, Mom had a chair she was happy with.

But she still had the little blue one that was too small, and no room for a Christmas tree. The plan was for me to take the little blue one, get rid of my older hand-me-down greyish-beigish one, and make room for a Christmas tree. Unfortunately, I had about three days to actually clean and make room for it before Christmas. I managed, barely, only Mom decided that we'd just put up a smaller tree instead.

Last week, we finally made the swap (with Fibonacci's help), and got the blue chair to my house and the greyish-beigish to his apartment. So next year, my mom should have room for her larger Christmas tree. So long as she doesn't go ordering any more chairs. As for me, the littler bluer chair fits me just fine. ^/^

No comments: