22 January 2008

Cat Behavior

I took the two female kittens to be spayed today. They're staying overnight. I'm sure they're pretty scared and unhappy now, but the interesting thing is that Dovienya seems to be looking for them. She keeps going to the door like she wants out, but when I open it, she only peers out expectantly. She's also been wandering the house quite a bit more than she usually does. So I think she's trying to figure out where they are. I'll be the first to admit that I could be anthropomorphizing here, but it seems like the most obvious interpretation.

One more note. Every other mother cat I've ever dealt with before has gotten sick of her kittens about the time they stopped nursing. Not just sick of them, but actively aggressive towards them, not wanting them around, etc. Dovi hasn't done this. In fact, she seems to enjoy the company. Mostly. Occasionally she clearly wants to be left alone, but, eh, who doesn't?

No comments: