06 July 2007

Ohhhhh, oh, ohhhh! The Heat!

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. And once more, UGH!

I put in my window AC today. It really needed to be in two days ago, but I had plants in front of the window where it goes and had to rearrange things to make another spot for them. Now done, though I think I'm going to have to move the recliner. Having my back to a door really REALLY bugs me. Which reminds me: I get to dissect this recliner in a few weeks. Mom's getting a new one to replace, uh, another new one. She insists that the older new one is too short for her. *shrugs* But it's in much better shape than this one, so I figure I'll take the old new one and dissect the old old one. I'm hoping to use the hinges in the footrest to make a laptop platform that I can raise and lower from a coffee-table-like structure, but I have a feeling that the angles are wrong. I need the platform to stay at the same angle throughout the move, but the footrest starts at 90 degrees to the floor and winds up roughly parallel. Maybe there's a way to make it work. We'll see.

Anyway, I got the AC in somewhere around 16:30 this afternoon. It's set at 72 degrees, and has been running constantly ever since (about 3 hours). I've figured out part of why my house gets so hot, though. It was originally about half the size that it is now, and was built onto. The original roof is peaked, with slopes facing the south and north. The newer roof is also peaked, but orthogonally to the original. No clue why; wouldn't it have been easier to build the thing to match? Anyway, that east-facing slope gets hit by the sun all morning long, so that by afternoon the air in the attic is horrendously hot, heating up the front part of the house. The back part stays much cooler. So... I need an attic fan. I could probably install one myself if I could find one that fits into the existing "vent," or that is smaller than said vent. If it's any larger, I do not want to put it in myself. I would rather leave putting holes in my house to the experts. Or enlarging holes, if you prefer. And the one that were readily available in town all looked too large. *sighs*

No comments: