25 October 2008

GF Tips: Hot Spiced Apple Cider

This was just one of those "DUH!" moments a few weeks back. Before finding out I was gluten intolerant, I would buy packets of spiced cider, the kind where you just add boiling water and stir. Most of them contain starches, malts, caramel color, etc. Then it suddenly dawned on me that all I needed was real apple cider and spice. So a very simple recipe:

Put a dash of cinnamon (and any other spices you might like) in the bottom of a microwave-proof mug. Fill the mug with apple cider. Heat in the microwave to desired temperature.

If you use Saigon cinnamon, it takes very little to get a good flavor. Other cinnamon varieties might take a bit more. And the microwave times will vary, but I find that if I start with refrigerated cider, 2:20 gets the temperature perfect for me.

GF Tips Index

2 comments:

John said...

Good idea, quick too.

It takes some time but I like real mulled cider. This is the recipe I use:

1 qt apple cider (or juice)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1 small cinnamon stick
1/8 tsp nutmeg
juice of 1/2 lemon
5-6 small orange slices

Put all ingredients except orange slices in a saucepan. Heat until cider starts to simmer (Do not let it boil). Simmer for 20 - 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Strain out cloves and cinnamon stick. Top each mug of cider with an orange slice. (A small scoop of vanilla ice cream instead of the orange slice is good too)

Replace the cider with a claret and you have a pretty good mulled wine.

Qalmlea said...

Nice. I may have to try that for our family's Thanksgiving dinner this year.